April 25, 2010
- 50 Littleneck clams (Henry uses clams from Mt. Pleasant, SC)
- 2 Tablespoons grits
- Ice water (in a bowl to cover the clams)
- 4 Diced Roma tomatoes
- ¼ Cup minced garlic
- 2 Bulbs of fennel thinly sliced
- 2 Teaspoons red pepper flakes
- 2 Cups white wine
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Soak clams in a bowl of ice water and sprinkle grits into the bowl. Let clams sit for approximately 20 minutes, so the clams will purge sand. Rinse and drain.
- Over medium heat, sauté fennel, tomatoes, and garlic for 3 minutes or until the fennel is soft. Add clams, red pepper flakes, and white wine. Cover and cook on high heat until clams are open. Add butter and serve in a platter with crusty bread and lemon wedges on the side.